Tuesday, April 28, 2009

PAST POET




Winner takes all time again in one of my groups. We could chose any theme. Easy enough. I have a few Poe images on hand and decided he would look nice against a backdrop similar to the Lincoln card I did recently. The background is simply a collage of a vintage roster page, hand rusted and hand patinated paper scraps (you can get the solutions to do this at any Micheal's), and the old standbys: star printed mulberry paper, muslin and beeswax dipped text. The Poe image is from Flickr commons. The card was finished off with mica and embellished with handrusted wire along the edges.


The bit of text found its way to the card. It was not a conscious decision on my part. Read: it was sitting in the scrap heap begging to be used. At first, I was not going to use it. The last letter is clipped off. But then, Poe had an imperfect childhood, orphaned at three years old, present at his mother's death, and later taken in by wealthy foster parents. So the irregular text seemed relevant after all, representative of an incomplete life. One that clearly colored his work and poetry. Poe recognized this in himself. "From childhood's hour I have not been As others were". - Edgar Allan Poe


The card is packaged and ready to go to the recipient. Hope it makes a nice addition to her collection.


Ciao for now.


Shelly

24 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow Shelly this is stunning. Love the mica. Brilliant work.

Lady Di said...

As always, love your work. So simple yet beautiful.

Gaby Bee said...

I always enjoy visiting your Blog to see your gorgeous creations.
This piece is absolutely stunning. Love the way how you used the mica.
Gaby xo

Elaine Kerr said...

Came right from your flickr site to say again how much I love this! Excellent!

Sam Marshall said...

Awesome piece- the mica looks fantastic!

PeregrineBlue said...

Everything you make is so tasteful and classic. You have style to the max.

Sanja said...

fabulos Shelly!
xo
Sanja

Lori said...

beautiful piece Shelly!
the hand-rusted wire is a perfect finishing embellishment.

i didn't know that about Poe, learn something new everyday

Arrée ô Gommage - Pleyben 29 said...

oh ! shelly , it's always fantastic ! you are so meticulous ! i'm fan .
à bientôt.

Artsnark said...

Just wonderful! Someone is very very lucky!!

Sueann said...

Wonderful piece!!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I appreciate your comments very much!! Next time, stay a little longer and we can have some coffee!!! LOL
Hugs
SueAnn

Lynne Larkin said...

Shelly, Love this piece. Wish I was in that wta!!
Lynne

Seth said...

Aamzing pieces. Such the perfect distressed and vintage look!

ArtPropelled said...

Shelly, this is fantastic!I love all the different elements...the bits of fabric, the handwriting and the mica. The Crown of Thorns in the Eater post is amazing too.

Viola said...

Just gorgeous, Shelly! As always! Sending big hugs to you, my dear! :o)

Dayna Collins said...

I'm loving' the vintage ledger paper as a backdrop for your Poe. Lovely and the recipient is one lucky lady.

Kim Palmer said...

I really like this one Shelly.I love Poe's works and recently picked up a book of his works at a second hand store. One of those fabulously decrepit falling apart books for a song. I wasn't aware of his background before so this was interesting and sheds quite a bit of light on his writings. Thanks for that.

thekathrynwheel said...

Gorgeous work as always. Love the gap in the Mica and the way you have wired it all together.
Kate :-)

Little Pink Studio said...

Your work is always just so fantastic and this is no exception! I love this!
Cerri xo

thekathrynwheel said...

Hi again, Just to say there are TWO blog awards for you on my blog :-) Kate

Karen Witte-Elkins said...

This is a great piece! I just found your blog today and will be a frequent visitor. Wanted to ask if you have seen the Poe Postage stamps? I bought a sheet of them recently and had several GFs who needed them as well. They're awesome and even moreso if you are a Poe fan. Thanks for sharing your work!

kelsey said...

I do so love Mr Poe!!! The mica front looks wonderful and yes, the missing "d" suits it perfectly. Awesome piece!!!

~*~Magpie's Nest said...

Thank you for your nice comment on my Mona Mermaid Shelly. I always enjoy your artwork SO much. Your Poe is fantastic!!! and inspiring!
oxo ~*~ Patty

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.