Sunday, February 1, 2009

PAST PORTRAITS



I recently bought a large lot of cabinet cards from that well known monstrous, on-line auction site. (No plug this time.) After looking through them all and finally deciding on a workable storage solution, I realized there is no way that I will find a use for each and every picture in one lifetime. Hence, I decided to post them to a Flickr group, so that members of the group can use the images in their art. There are a number of portraits of men, which are sometimes hard to find. And the quality of the images was surprisingly good. Buying items blind in a lot usually results in quite a few discards, but I was pleased with the condition of the majority of the photos. The mounting boards/folios/backings, whatever the proper term, are quite interesting, too. Those of you adept at Photoshop may find the embossed matboards make for interesting brushes. I dunno. You tell me. Or show me. That would be great. It's what I am hoping for. Lots of cool stuff created with vintage images.

Join "Past Portraits", my new Flickr group, to access the photos for download and use. The link is here. The group is by invite only, so if you are interested, post a comment here or send a Flickr e-mail and the invite will go out to you promptly.

Ciao for now.

Shelly

11 comments:

Artsnark said...

very generous Shelly! Excited to see your images. I know what you mean by ht iffy-ness of auction lots I recently got "burned" when I bought 2 lots & forgot to ask if they were smoke free. The reek so badly they are unusable...but my fault for not asking.

Little Pink Studio said...

What a wonderful thing for you to do!
Thank you for inviting me!
Hope you're having a beautiful weekend!
Cerri

Lady Di said...

Hi Shelly, I've joined and posted a pic too. Looking forward to seeing the wonderful things others create.
XOXOX
Diana

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'd love to join your flickr group if you don't mind sending me an invite. This is a very generous offer and of course I'd be more than happy to post pics of whatever I create with the images and give you credit for the original.

Tam

Jan said...

Hi Shelly - thanks for the invite (I've already joined) Thanks also for visiting my blog. I've just been looking through yours and am overwhelmed by your fantastic fabric work - just amazing. I've put you on my list so that I can keep an eye open for further pieces. Just love them.

Lori said...

Thank you Shelly for the invite, I many cabinet cards that I would love to share :)
Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Thank you shelly for the group and invitation. I love my Mystery Man-and all of the other images.
Lynne

BoneyLittleFingers said...

Thank you for such a generous offer. I own just a couple of cabinet cards and many loose vernacular photos and will gladly share with your Flickr group. Please send me an invite. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,
I found you through Robyn's gracious blog, and I am glad I did. Cabinet cards are very hard to come by in Austrlalia, if one finds them, are hugely expensive. Thanks for the generosity, I am hopping over there now.

Dayna Collins said...

What a great purchase! And how fun that the cabinet cards exceeded your expectations. I'll be watching for what you do with some of the photos . . .

Elizabeth Golden said...

Wow, how lucky you are, I always get outbid.Luckily I have been collecting for years. They just appeal to me in so many ways. I would love to join this group and have quite a bit to share.
Elizabeth
http://thelastdoordwn thehall.blogspot.com/